Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Michael Jackson

As the whole world (the news media says the whole world, and they can't say it on tv if it's not true, right?) is watching the spectacle of the Michael Jackson memorial unfold, I have several different, and sometimes conflicting, thoughts...

The statement that he provided the sound track to my generation is pretty accurate. His was the first poster I put on my bedroom wall as an elementary school girl with a big crush. When the Thriller video was first aired my oldest friend, Leslie, and I put our baby girls in little car seat carriers, made munchies and sat enthralled. Absolutely amazing.

I always felt kind of sorry for him because he was such a freak show on feet. I mean, he was pretty much forced to be the family breadwinner from the age of 5 and deprived of any normal childhood. His accusations of physical and mental abuse by his father reinforce my sorrow because, regardless of anything else, he was just a kid.

I'm not sure if his marriage to Lisa Marie was a stunt or he was truly looking for love.

The accusations against him for molestation make my blood run cold. I believe them. And that makes it all that much more confusing. I respect his talent, feel sorry that his life was such a mess, but hate him with every fiber of my being for hurting a child.

How's that for conflicted?

No comments:

Post a Comment